Wednesday, March 28, 2007

What, exactly, is the "Man Card"?

This article discusses the "controversy" erupting over the fact that more men are opting to take women's last names when they get married. On so many levels, this "controversy" is just ridiculous. One guy who clearly doesn't like this trend is quoted as telling a guy who combined his last name with his wife's to create a new name (uh, that seems like a good compromise to me) to give back his "man card." I know you guys like to keep secrets from us (you know, for fear that we'll use it against you later), but what the hell is the "man card"? And, more importantly, where can I go to get one? It seems like it comes in pretty handy for you. Hell, I never even ended up getting married, and people were going ape-shit over the fact that I wasn't going to change my name (What?! You're not *even* going to hyphenate?). (Sigh....) What it must be like to live in a world where no one asks you to give up your identity in order to create a lifetime union with the one you love...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-03-20-names-marriage_N.htm

3 comments:

JOSHUA S BLACK said...

Oh, but you do change your identity when you are married! You become one with your spouse!

Taking his last name is symbolic, more than anything. It says that you are now under his protection, and any fool who wants to harm you must go through HIM first! It's a wonderful way to stop wicked lust-buckets in their tracks.

Why can't women protect men? Because they aren't designed that way. Men and women are fundamentally different. Like apples and oranges. That's all there is to it.

Stephenie said...

Ooooo, this *is* controversial! Silly me...here I was thinking that I was designed to have a brain and be an autonomous human being. I better hurry up and get one of those protector things you refer to as a husband.

thefrownyclown said...

If I have a man card, where can I scan it?